Top 10 Movies (in no order)
- Mama – I love being scared, especially by creepy kids. I still get goosebumps just thinking of “that one scene”.
- Side Effects – Interesting story based around the drug industry, sort of. Acting was great, weird hearing Jude Law without the accent.
- Mud – Matty Mcnoduhdagfey never lets me down, because I don’t watch his lame movies (Magic Mike,Fools Gold, Surfer Dude). In a role made for a midwestern boy, he plays it to the point in this great flick.
- Now you See Me – I like magic movies, this one was good as well although the twists may have been too many.
- The Conjuring – Nothing new in the movie, but if you are going to do something, do it right. It did.
- World War Z – Zombies are my favorite movies. 28 Days later, Zombieland, Night of the Living Dead, The Mummy(?). This was a great mix of story, action and some really fast zombies and a Muse done soundtrack is a bonus.
- Monsters University – A hilarious movie, especially with the people I saw it with. The perfect group.
- The Prisoners – Intense. I loved the acting and the story as a whole. Its a great look into the psyche of several characters. I’m not a Maria Bello fan, but thinking back, she was definitely a highlight.
- Dark Skies – Aliens or what. All movies should just use kids to creep people out. It’s more fun that way.
- We Are What We Are – Ummm. oh what…I cant tell you what its about, but you have to watch it.
Best Books (I don’t read nearly enough)
- Fantasy Life – Matthew Berry: For fantasy sports people like myself, this book is a must read.
- David and Goliath – Malcolm Gladwell: His essays are easy to understand but full of knowledge.
- Dad is Fat – Jim Gaffigan: So funny. Read it, love it, then get a hot pocket.
- Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn: Great suspense mystery drama book. I can’t wait for the movie.
- Lexicon – Max Barry: This book was mind blowing, I was lost throughout the first two chapters, the more you read, the more sense it makes. Definitely, one of the best books I have read. He also wrote Jennifer Government, one of my favorite books ever.
Top 5 CDs
- Phoenix – Bankrupt! – What a good time, the french really are bringing their best. (Phoenix, Daft Punk, M83, etc.)
- Chvrches – The Bones of What You Believe – Just oddly addictive synth-pop with mostly female led vocals that give it some ethereal value.
- Fitz and the Tantrums – Out of My League – I love how they took the retro club sound and made it arena worthy. Best Songs: Spark, The Walker, Break The Walls
- Fall Out Boy – Save Rock and Roll – The name says it all, its been a long time since a Rock and Roll record really did what it should (Foo Fighters would be the last). Should it really take a year to be this good. Best Songs: Phoenix, Just One Yesterday, Young Volcanoes
- Editors – The Weight of Your Love – Prior to this, I was not an Editors fan. After hearing about this, I still refused to listen to it. Somehow I stumbled onto Papillion (probably Pandora), which I loved. So I gave a listen to this CD. Two things set this apart from most. The mood and the lyrics. I’ll probably just devote a whole future post to this, because it’s worth it. Best Songs: Honesty, Formaldehyde, Nothing